High school students wishing to enter the UCI Engineering program must have completed four years of mathematics through pre-calculus or math analysis and are advised to have completed one year each of physics and chemistry. That preparation, along with honors courses and advanced placement courses, is fundamental to success in the Engineering program and is vital to receiving first consideration for admittance to an Engineering major during periods of restricted enrollments. Applicants must apply for admission to a specific Engineering major or Engineering Undeclared.
If enrollment limitations make it necessary, unaccommodated Engineering applicants may be offered alternative majors at UCI.
Transfer students may be admitted to The Henry Samueli School of Engineering either from another major at UCI or from another college or university. A student seeking admission to The Henry Samueli School of Engineering from colleges and schools other than UCI must satisfy University requirements for admission with advanced standing and should complete appropriate prerequisites for their major of choice. Applicants should prioritize completing subject requirements (math, science, engineering) over completion of IGETC or UCI general education and lower-division requirements prior to transfer. IGETC is not considered in transfer selection while subject requirements contribute directly to reducing time to graduate. Since requirements vary from major to major, those contemplating admission with advanced standing to the School should consult each Department's Catalogue section and the UCI Office of Admissions and Relations with Schools for the specific requirements of each program. All transfer students should arrange for early consultation with The Henry Samueli School of Engineering Student Affairs Office.
Second Baccalaureates in Engineering are accommodated on a "space available" basis. Consideration will go to those students from non-STEM backgrounds who have completed all lower-division requirements with exemplary grades.
- Enrollment and degrees awarded
- How to Apply
- Engineering Ambassadors
- UCI – IVC Engineering Academy
- Transfer New Student Packet
- New Transfer Advising Session 2019
- Research Recommendations
- Transfer Tips
Discover UCI Videos
- Biomedical Engineering Department
- Chemical & Biomolecular Department
- Civil & Environmental Engineering Department
- Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department
- Materials Science and Engineering Department
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Department
Time to Degree Policy
- Students who enter UCI directly from high school are expected to complete all degree requirements within 5 years (15 quarters, not including summers). This includes completion of any minors or additional (double or triple) majors
- Students who enter UCI as junior transfers from other institutions are expected to complete all degree requirements within 3 years (9 quarters, not including summers). This includes the completion of any minors or additional (double or triple) majors.